Thursday, March 19, 2009

Tam Coc

Yesterday we went to Tam Coc. They describe it as Ha Long Bay on rice patties. I must say it is very beautiful and peaceful. Our rower used her feet to row the boat. The whole trip takes about 2 hours. You go through 3 caves. Overall it was very relaxing and peaceful. On the way there we stoped and I got a picture with a "nguoi dan ba" va "con bo".

Check out the tam coc photo album. You'll see the picture above. Also I have a picture of a Chihuahua who seems to work at one of the shops here. Seeing a Chihuahua in Hanoi seemed some how wrong. I was a bit concerned the dog because of all the thit cho shops I saw on the way to tam coc. I counted at least ten. I'm sure he'll be ok though. I also have a picture of the Vietnamese equivalent of a shopping mall. Each "shop" is about 5 feet by 8 feet. The shops are stuffed together. We bought fabric there so that we can make some Ao Dia's.

Today we did a bit more shopping and found some Ao Dias for Kimi and Autumn. We also got to visit with some new friends. Some others were visiting from various places around the world. It was like we're one big happy family.

Tomorrow we head to Ha Long bay for three days. Expect more pictures and stories. I'll try and put them up as soon as we get back.

On a personal note I think my Vietnamese is getting a little better. I don't really have any "proof" but at least it's good to feel that way. Also Tim was right. Things here are inexpensive but even so you hate when you learn you could of bought the same thing elsewhere for 50 cents cheaper. You just feel cheated. The longer we stay the better idea we have of what things actually cost.

W + M